Magical spells in Shroud of the Avatar are divided into two categories: active spells (illustrated below in yellow) and innate spells (illustrated in white). Active spells are used by the player during combat to produce a desired effect (e.g. a fireball), whereas innate spells are constantly active and increase the effects of other skills or equipment (e.g. “buffs”).
Chaos magic is concerned with disruption. There is a high chance, given its unpredictable nature, that chaos magic will fizzle.
Chaos Bolt: Very random effect bolt
Chaotic Confusion: Randomly rearranges target’s skills
Chaos Storm: Storm that fires Chaos bolts
Chaos Shield: Increases defense but has % chance to also amplify damage
Chaotic Clone: Creates a copy of spells cast by owner that hit random targets.
Shapeshift: Caster becomes a random creature / animal
Summon Demon: Summons a powerful Demon that attacks everyone (including caster)
Control Demon: Controls a summoned demon to keep it from killing caster and allies
Empower Chaos: Reduce Chaos spell fizzle chance
According to the Magic Sigil, magical schools can be combined through the use of Chaos. Some early possible spell combinations that Portalarium have templated include:
- Flame Jet = Flame Fist + Flame Arrow: Cone of flame that lasts X seconds, hits multiple targets
- Fire Tornado = Gust + Ring of Fire: large AoE fire tornado that moves and pulls targets into it
- Mudslide = Douse + Earthquake: Slowly expanding AoE that stuns and slows and damages
- Vinewall = Root + Stone Wall: Stone wall that roots nearby targets
- Exploding Dead = Animate Dead + Corpse Explosion: Creates Zombie from corpse that explodes when hit or when expires
Whether these or other such combination-based magical effects make it in to the release version of the game remains to be seen.